Liverpool City Brass Band Inc. Brief History


Liverpool Brass Band was originally formed in 1883. It is said that the band came to be after a small donation to a group of keen young men who were looking to entertain the people of Liverpool. Historically, and currently, the band is led by a conductor and run by a committee of volunteers that are elected each year. It is a traditional British style brass band comprised of cornets, flugle horns, tenor Horns, baritones, euphoniums, trombones, basses and percussion.

In the early 1900s the band was reasonably successful and is documented as regularly performing in Bigge Park on Sunday afternoons.

The band ceased during WWI and was reformed in 1924, by Tom Laing. Not much about the band’s history is known between the World Wars, but we know that it again ceased in 1939 for WWII when the bandsmen took up arms.

Reformed by Liverpool Council in 1949, the president of the band was the then Mayor, Ron Dunbier, and the first Patron was W. Edmondson- father of the late John Edmondson VC. The first public appearance of the band after WWII was the Mayoral Ball in November 1949.

In early 1961 the name of the band was changed from the Liverpool Municipal Band to the Liverpool City Brass Band. At this time, a bass drum skin and banner were painted with the new name- this is still the bass drum and banner used by the band today. The Band’s logo uses the Liverpool City Crest and is proudly displayed on the uniforms, banners and letterhead.

Until the early 60s, the band did not have a permanent home. It rehearsed wherever it could- under the Town Hall, at the Methodist Sunday School and at A.C McGrath’s Motor Garage. In 1962 the current band hall was opened in Woodward Park, off Memorial Avenue. The hall has been the home of the City Band ever since.


In celebration of the band’s contribution to the City, in August 1965 Liverpool Council donated a full set of instruments to the band- Some of which are still used by band members. The band owns a collection of historical instruments, including a pair of 1920s marching drums, and antique brass instruments.


The uniform worn by the band has changed several times over the years. In the 30s, the uniform featured front and sleeve piping detail on coats, and plain trousers. When the band was reformed after WWII, the band acquired old uniforms from Waratah-Maitland Band. In the Late 60s, the uniform was changed to Royal Blue coats with Yellow ties. In the early 2000s, the band switched the traditional caps for a more functional board brimmed hat. In 2011, the old coats were retired and replaced with a more cost-effective black suit, with royal blue tie.


The band still performs regularly around Liverpool. We play in the band stand located in Macquarie Street Mall, Liverpool ANZAC and Remembrance Day Commemorations, Christmas Events, Bunnings Warehouse BBQ’s and Family Nights, Community fairs, celebrations, and historical events. The band also supplies a bugler to perform The Last Post and Reveille at the Liverpool ANZAC Day Dawn Service, Liverpool Hospital ANZAC Service and Remembrance Day.

Liverpool City Brass Band also competes in NSW and National Band Championships, travels to other towns to perform (recently Leeton and Crookwell), and assists other bands with events in their communities.

Liverpool Brass Band combined with Yagoona District Band in 2014 to form South West Sydney Brass- a competition band comprised of players from each band. In 2015, South West Sydney Brass placed 2nd overall in the Centenary of ANZAC Australian National Band Championships, and was the 2015 Champion D-grade Band in the NSW State Band Championships.